18 Aug 2017

Restaurant Month: Vikki Lane

Vikki Lane is tucked down an alleyway on Victoria Street West, towards the Vic Park end. It goes by the name 'Vikki Lane Bar and Kitchen'. Upon entering the bright little alleyway, one would think it was the 'bar' alter-ego tonight, with the upbeat mood and the smoke smell dominating the covered space. Turns out the crowd this Thursday evening came for the free wine tasting event. For a girl who describes wine as either "too bitter" or "that's nice", I did not help myself to a glass by the door, instead we were seated in a cosy corner for Restaurant Month.
The covered alleyway in Vikki Lane
The menu was easy enough to choose from. Eliminate the seafood from the options (dining with a fussy eater) and we were left with deep fried camembert and garlic bread for our entrees, and ham steak and chicken kiev for our mains.
St Clair Vicar's Choice, Malborough
A glass of bubbles arrived! This was exciting since this was included in the $25 set menu. I'm not sure if many other Restaurant Month menus include a drink in their price. About 45 minutes into our dinner I remembered the other reason why I do not enjoy alcoholic drinks; it makes me sleepy. Regardless, this makes the dinner very much worthy of $25. 
Deep fried camembert with plum chutney
Deep fried cheese is great. The camembert came with plum chutney; tart and sweet enough to complement the savoury cheese, and a basic salad with marmalade. The serving came with three wedges, so it left the two of us fighting for the third slice. The kind of fight where you go back and forth "you have it/ no you have it" until we ended up making the effort to cut it 50/50. With a little more crispiness of the breadcrumb coating, I wouldn't have been so polite eating more than my share.
The presentation of the meals wasn't over the top; no sauce patterns, no flower toppings, no sculptures stuck in the potatoes. This is a bar and kitchen after all, and with that comes simplicity. But well executed, may I add.
Chicken kiev with waldorf salad
I'm not sure what a 'waldorf salad' is, but this breaded chicken was on top of a green salad that contained apples. Simple and tasty enough. My dining partner's plate however...
Ham steak with pineapple ring and potato croquettes
I wasn't polite this time. I had a taste of the ham and when the last piece was still on the plate after a long minute, I stabbed my fork into it. Fantastic, delicious.

The food at Vikki Lane left a good first impression, although I do note that these dishes are not part of their daily menu, so it's only available this August! If you're after an affordable dinner with bubbles to make things a bit fancy, I recommend this place.

The portion sizes won't make you undo your button, but with a comparably fair bill for inner city European dining, you can make allowance for dessert.

151 Victoria Street West
Mon - Fri 7am - Late
Restaurant Menu diners to be seated by 6:30pm


Where to next?

Signed,

Elisa

ps. I paid with a registered American Express and I got a $10 credit for spending over $20 at Restaurant Month, so this dinner only cost me $15

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts on this post?