23 Aug 2012

A little bit about fettuccini carbonara

 I made an unbelievably good dinner the other day.
I invited Lauren over cause she's cooked for me many times (she is a brilliant brilliant cook) and I wanted to repay her kindness and have a girly bffe chat with her ;)

I got this cookbook given to me by Melissa and it's so amazing! My favourite cuisine in hardback, thick quality paper with a satin ribbon bookmark.
I picked spaghetti carbonara because it seemed simple and looked delicious on the picture. We had spinach and normal fettuccini in the pantry, so I used that instead of spaghetti. And low-fat edam cheese instead of parmesan.
I think what made it so tasty was the crisp middle bacon I used.
Tip for cooking pasta: Don't add oil. You would usually add a few tsp of oil in the pot to prevent the pasta from sticking together. But in fact (thanks to Rachael Ray) the trick is the rapidly boiling water; the bubbles are enough to prevent the pasta from sticking and besides, the oil just adds more fat :/

Fettuccini carbonara

(serves 4, or if you found it as delicious as we did, serves 2 :P )
5 eggs
a handful of grated cheese
fettuccini
25g butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
200g bacon, diced and without rind
2 cloves finely chopped garlic (You can crush the garlic or grate it but I don't have a garlic crusher and the grater was in the dishwasher, so I chopped it finely instead)

1. Whisk the eggs and cheese together.
2. Cook the fettuccini in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
3. In a pan, melt the butter and olive oil.
4. Cook the diced bacon until crisp then add the garlic.
5. Drain the pasta, add the bacon and garlic.
6. Stir in the egg mixture, do not return to the heat as the eggs will scramble, but quickly stir the pasta around. The heat is enough to cook the eggs.
7. Sprinkle salt and pepper and grate cheese on top.

I served it with cauliflower, broccoli would also accompany it nicely. Lauren gave it a 9.75 out of 10.

And to conclude, I bought 2 necklaces from the uni Thursday market in the Quad. I love that market and all the jewellery they sell. Makes me feel so happy...

 adds to my collection of necklaces (and these are not all) . . .
Signed,
Elisa

1 comment:

  1. 9.75!!!!!! Mmmmm
    Guess what, my Mum got this book out of the library.
    I love your jewellery.
    Peace out!

    ReplyDelete

what are your thoughts on this post?