11 Jun 2013

It falls differently

It is the season of engagements... I'm feeling romanticised after attending Michelle's wedding on Saturday, hence the mood of this story...

Usually when I write, I begin with a sentence that I base the story upon.
Sometimes the sentence is something I had said or heard, this particular story began with a sentence that formed in my head "It falls differently"

I hope you like it.
Tell me if you enjoyed it, I'll post more creative writing :)


We were driving in the car to our parents’ farm, the rain making a quiet pitter patter noise against the windows.  I was thinking about nothing in particular when Hayley spoke up from the passenger seat.
“How do you know when you’re in love?”
I blinked, feeling a grin bursting from the inside. “Haha… hmmm why? What’s up?”
Those weren’t her usual questions. Usual would be along the lines of what I do as a job, my recent travels and the people in the cultures I’ve lived amongst. Factual, tangible things.
She shrugged. “I just want to know. What does it feel like?”
I was instantly taken back to one moment years ago when I held your hand as we walked through the park. Ordinary day; backpacks on shoulders, hungry stomachs, worried minds. When I felt a sudden urge to hold you tightly. I squeezed your hand until you complained and began to pull away, but I held tighter, I didn’t want to let go of you.
“It feels like… you have everything right in front of you.”
Hayley frowned. “Whaaaat? How do you know you’re in love?”
I pondered again.  The passing lane ended when I answered her. “It falls differently.”
“What does?”
“The word. Love.”
“How do you mean?” She turned to me, twenty years of wisdom and curiosity in her jet green eyes. We have the same ‘swimming pool eyes’, as you call them.
I scratched my nose, thinking. “When you say ‘I love you’ when you don’t mean it, it feels different on your tongue to when you do mean it.”
She tested it, saying the phrase aloud several times.
“It doesn’t feel like anything special right?”
She shook her head. “What’s it supposed to feel like when you love someone?”
“When you say it to them, it feels complete. Like it’s the end, but also the beginning.”
She frowned at me as I laughed. “Sorry, probably not the answer you were after. Hmmm let me think of another way to put it.”
“How did you know you love Alice?” She asked.
“I just said- I felt like I had everything in front of me.”
“But how does that feel?” She emphasised.
“Like you don’t want to be with anyone else but them… For the rest of your life. Every time you’re with them, you feel content with each other despite your differences. And you wish for endless days with them.”
I thought Hayley had fallen asleep the way she was quiet for a long time. But when she spoke again, she assured me I had made the right decision four months ago.
“She said that too.”
“Who?”
“Alice. She said when she’s with you, she doesn’t want the day to end… Even when you’re in a fight. She said that’s how you know you love the other person.”
We arrived at the farm, I was feeling more sure than ever. Mum greeted me with a tight hug, one that used to make you feel a little envious.
“Finally!” She smiled at me, patting my back. “The rain stops just as the groom arrives. Perfect.”
My words exactly when I saw you at the other end of the aisle.

1 comment:

what are your thoughts on this post?