6 Aug 2013

A little bit about banana chocolate chip muffins with cinnamon crumble tops


A couple of months ago jt mentioned how much he likes bananas; banana cake, banana muffins, banana bread... and ever since then it's been niggling me that I should do a banana bake item.

The thing is, the bananas have to be overripe- very brown and soft for easy mashing and sweetness of flavor.
And I forget to set aside any bananas!
 But this time I made a conscious reminder for me and everybody else in the house. 
It took about 3 days for these bananas to go from edible yellow to this color.





This recipe jumped out at me because it contains golden syrup. How special!
As I browsed other recipes, I decided to add chocolate chips and a cinnamon crumble topping for extra texture.


Banana chocolate chip muffins with cinnamon crumble tops

150g butter
2 Tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 very ripe, brown bananas, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I didn't measure how much I used, maybe even up to a cup)

For the cinnamon crumble topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
20g butter


1. Melt the butter and golden syrup
2. Add vanilla essence, mashed bananas and eggs. Stir well
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and brown sugar with a whisk
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in butter mixture
5. Mix gently until just combined. Do not overmix
6. Spoon a tablespoon full of batter into each lined muffin tin
7. Drop a few chocolate chips and fill to the top flat with more batter
8. Put in the oven at 220C bake for no more than 5 minutes, while you make the crumble topping
9. To make the crumble topping, place ingredients in a bowl and cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs
10. Sprinkle on top of muffins and continue to bake for a further 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

Makes 12
I actually had a bit of trouble making the crumble topping (impatient) and I didn't know how to 'cut in the butter'. But mama rescued it hehee...

Note:
It is important that you do not overmix muffin mixtures. Otherwise they go hard and over-dense when they're cooked. Lumpy is fine.

I ate two straight out of the oven.

I gave jt five. During action group planning, Jeanny and Abigail had one each (she fed a piece to her fiancee, it was so cute and funny; she sanitised her hands afterwards) and JimBob was so nice, he gave us the couches to have action group! So I gave him one too and he said my bf is a lucky man. And then I was thirdwheeling the other EJ couple ("Where's-Joshua Wednesday"), and mile is always hungry so they shared a muffin and said it was yummy!!

I hope you all enjoyed it!


And to conclude,

highlight of my day: watching the Athletes in Action basketball team from USA play against our very own UoA team! An event hosted by Studentlife!
I was really excited.
We have weekly events every thursday 1pm in SLT 2 with speakers each week talking about how God has changed their lives. You should come!


Signed,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts on this post?