14 Aug 2013

A little bit about Donna Hay's caramel slice recipe



I love Donna Hay.
I used to watch her shows on TV, in awe of her fluid and simple cooking.
Then I got her cookbook!!

It has amazing photography and recipes of mains, baking and dessert...

Must try:
flatbread...
sponge cakes...
 Swirl loaves...
 panna cotta!! and brioche...
creme caramel ~I LOVE CREME CARAMEL~

Because it's a Donna Hay recipe, I thought I might as well go for gold by using quality ingredients, as opposed to the usual Basics/ Home Brand I purchase :p

Including Cadbury melts- which are really good to eat by themselves too...

And using the best butter!
Just kidding- these are too good I will not use it for cooking! I bought this from The Foodshow this year (blogpost coming soon..)

I made her caramel slice, this is pretty much the exact recipe except I substituted half the chocolate for white chocolate to marble the two :)

125 gr of butter to be melted
Mix it together with the dry ingredients
Press into a lined tin with the back of a spoon, and bake until golden :)

The filling: condensed milk, golden syrup and another 125 gr of butter.
Two cans of condensed milk is a lot ae?!
Most recipes only use one, but I trust you Donna!!
Looks like creme brulee after it has been baked, doesn't it?
And then marble that chocolate... :)

Marble Caramel Slice
base:
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
125 gr butter, melted

filling:
1/3 cup golden syrup
125 gr butter, chopped
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk

chocolate marble top:
100 gr dark chocolate melts
100 gr white chocolate melts
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (not olive oil)

1. Place the flour, coconut, brown sugar and melted butter in a bowl and mix well to combine
2. Press into a lined slice tin with the back of a spoon
3. Bake at 180C for 15-20 mins or until golden
4. To make the caramel filling, place golden syrup, butter and condensed milk in a medium saucepan over low heat.
5. Stir until butter has melted and the caramel has thickened slightly
6. Pour over cooked, slightly cooled base and bake for a further 20 mins or until golden
7. Refrigerate until cold
8. Melt the chocolate in seperate bowls, with half a tablespoon of oil in each
9. Pour over caramel top and spread with the back of a spoon for a marble effect (You can retouch the marbling with a toothpick :)
10. Refrigerate until set then cut into slices


Tips:
~ Pour hot water over the measuring cup before pouring in the golden syrup. This makes the syrup stick less to the cup when you pour it into the saucepan.
~ When melting chocolate, use clean and not wooden utensils. Chocolate is sensitive to moisture (wood is porous, it may contain moisture) and most importantly, careful not to get water in the bowl! It will spoil the chocolate
~ When you cut the slices, dip the knife in hot water so it won't stick to the caramel
~ Same idea with cleaning the slice tin; soak it in hot water and any sticky caramel on the sides will easily wipe off

Okay, it is really really sweet. I had one square and I'm reeling from its sweetness.
Next time: Lessen the sugar and maybe one and a half can of condensed milk only. Man it's so sweet...

My action group girls loved it! Even said it's not too sweet
So when you make it, up to you really whether you reduce the sugars or not :)

I gave jt two slices wrapped in tinfoil today and he said it's the best baking I've done!
<3

So I made a limit...


And to conclude,

I like this post by my friend Dominic
http://dominusdeussabbaoth.blogspot.sg/2012/03/just-kiss-away.html

by my friend Dominic

Signed,
Elisa

1 comment:

what are your thoughts on this post?