19 Jul 2012

A little bit about peri-peri crumbed chicken for dinner

So I cook dinner for my family, right. And it's quite hard sometimes since my parents have to eat a meal with rice or noodles otherwise they're not completely 'full'. I'm not too pro at cooking Asian dishes and I am really fussy with meat. Some of you may know my views on lamb..... I can't eat it unless I call it something else :P For example, Lauren and I stir- fried some and I told her to call it venison. jt had lamb at a restaurant and he was like, "Does it feel like I'm cutting into your soul??" No. Not until you just said that and stabbed that piece of meat with your steak knife.
But no, I think lamb tastes like beef. Anyway, this means that when mama cooks, she has to adapt to everyone's preferences or I find my own dinner. So I've started to cook for myself and now, for the family!
Monday night was baked peri-peri crumbed chicken.


What is peri-peri? It is a mild chilli, mostly known as the signature taste of Nando's. We bought powdered peri-peri and it is really good sprinkled on chips, like they serve at Nando's. (I just had a thought- I should try it with popcorn...)

So here is the recipe for a tasty, super easy and super quick dinner

Peri-peri crumbed chicken

500g chicken tenderloins
1/4 cup plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
peri-peri powder
oregano
sesame seeds
grated cheese

Combine breadcrumbs, peri-peri, oregano and sesame seeds.
Lightly coat a piece of chicken in flour.
Dip in eggs.
Coat generously in breadcrumb mixture.
Place on greased oven tray and repeat with remaining chicken.
Top with grated cheese if desired.

Bake at 240 celcius for 15 minutes.


Tips: I placed the flour on a flat chopping board and the breadcrumbs mixture in a large bowl. Makes it easy to turn the chicken over and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on.
I tend to not use exact measurements, so give or take a tablespoon with the flour and breadcrumbs. I think I used a couple of teaspoons of peri-peri, oregano and sesame seeds each. But hey, just wing it.
crumbed chicken with cheese

Variations: If you don't have peri-peri, substitute for normal chilli powder or cajun seasoning. This wasn't spicy at all, just added a nice zing of flavour.
You can also substitute the oregano with other herbs.
I personally think this would be really nice with parmesan cheese, instead of normal cheddar. But we didn't have any and I was too lazy to cross the road to Countdown. Next time .
You can serve this with roast potatoes, or any style of potatoes, with rice or in a wrap.

And to conclude... I also did not buy a pillow because it had a picture of a lamb on it.

Signed,
Elisa

4 comments:

  1. Parmesan cheese?! do u want mine?
    I bought it to try, but can't stand the taste/smell of it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh YEAH! Cause I'm planning to make pizza... :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG THAT LOOKS SO GOOD!
    I'm getting hungry just reading about it! *drooooool*

    ReplyDelete

what are your thoughts on this post?