18 Jul 2012

A little bit about nieman marcus cookies

Calci and I love food. In year 12, we had a wine and cheese festival just for the two of us. We brought cheese and crackers to calculus with Lipton ice tea for the wine (I miss Tommy).
This tradition of having random casual food festivals continues till this day. We've had chocolate chip cheesecake bars during mathematical modelling and homemade pizza during intro to structures...
In my first lecture of this semester, as soon as we sat down Calci asked, "Do you want some cookies?" and pulled out a container of 6 perfectly round cookies. Her foodie mom had baked Nieman marcus cookies (read the story behind the name here) They are oatmeal, walnut and chocolate chip; crunchy and so yummy.
I had an hour to spare at home and I wanted to make these, but who can I give them to? Then I remembered that on Wednesday mornings, Greenlane Presbyterian Church has a community outreach programme called Mainly Music, where mothers and their young children enjoy each other's company, dance and have a fun time. Jo was saying the previous week that they have a roster for someone to provide baking for morning tea and they would appreciate some help. So I made 40 cookies for them.

Because I didn't leave out the butter and egg at room temperature, I softened the butter in the microwave (be careful it doesn't melt) and ran the refrigerated eggs under tap water (thank you Mrs Wong for this tip!). 

We had some really really good dark chocolate in the pantry that Mama bought to try but found it was too bitter to eat as is (but it's really good melted and eaten as ice cream sauce B The W). So I chopped these up and used in place of chocolate chips. I think grating the chocolate would have made the cookies look more gourmet.

Oatmeal. Blend this up by itself. I am making double the recipe, so I need one firmly packed cup of brown sugar.


Butter, sugars, egg and vanilla
Everything. Yum.


Roll them up smaller than these, they turn out huge.
Roll and flatten

Nieman Marcus cookies. Crunchy, slightly sweet and slightly more addicting.


I took these to church and said to the lady in the kitchen, "I brought some cookies for morning tea." 

And she said, "Thank you. Did you bring your daughter along?"


Nieman Marcus Cookies
Makes 24
1/2 cup butter, softened (approx 113g)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1 1/4 cup oatmeal, blended
pinch of salt
a little bit less than 1/2 tsp baking powder
a little bit less than 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and both sugars,
Add egg and vanilla.
Mix with flour, rolled oats, salt, baking powder and soda.
Add chocolate and nuts.
Roll into balls and flatten. Leave a 2cm gap between each cookie on the tray.
Bake at 180C for 15 minutes, turning the tray halfway.
Leave on tray for a few minutes before transferring on to wire rack to cool.

I reserved 8 of these cookies, so if you see me around uni today the passcode is "Elisa you are so youthful."


And to conclude, I got told by two different groups of people that I hug weird. I do not.

Signed,
Elisa

5 comments:

  1. There's something so warm about your blog.
    Warmth like home-made baking, that comes through in your writing.

    I like it! :D
    Keep bloggin'!!! Can't wait to see what else you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! That is really sweet of you :D
      I can't wait to read your next blog post too ;)

      Delete
  2. A well written and well presented post! They look delicious.

    -George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in your zone girl!!!
    'Did you bring your daughter along?' hahaha i will remember this.
    You do hug weird, but it is also a cute and feminine and delicate hug which is a good thing!
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cute. feminine. delicate.
      Thank you.
      But I do not hug weird! Super self conscious now! Will give you a robot hug next time

      Delete

what are your thoughts on this post?