5 Feb 2013

A little bit about Waiheke Island

Who went to Waiheke and didn't take their DSLR? -.-

But it wasn't as bed as I imagined, I hate the feeling of forgetting your camera and itching to take a photo of the scenery. Luckily the 5MP camera on the iPod Touch 5 was sufficient for the 3 day trip.

I had just returned from a fantastic first-time-ever-Parachute with my Student Life siblings, hadn't had enough of the intense sun (I have tanlines from my watch, the AWOP wrist band, jandals and crisscross top) so I joined my mum who was already in Waiheke for more sun.
Bye Auckland... on the ferry
I hadn't been to Waiheke before, I just heard that it's an island of vineyards and lifestyle houses, and my friend Mr Bond lives there (I still don't understand how he commutes by ferry everyday to uni)

Waiheke is an island 40 minutes by ferry, it is part of Auckland, which I thought was funny, I just couldn't grasp the fact that an island separate to Auckland is still Auckland... It was even stranger thinking about people living on an island that isn't its own country... Anyway
You can also take your car from Half Moon Bay wharf.
Cruise ship I saw on the way
We stayed right in front of Oneroa beach

Oneroa in the evening
We visited some vineyards. This one was called Mudbrick Vineyard
I think it would be such a lovely place for a wedding reception...
I mean, look at these romantic stairs...
My mum told me that someone had booked it for a wedding in 2015.
Lol has he even proposed yet?

I was inventing scenarios for this.
Maybe they're a long distance couple and she lives in Switzerland, and she's going to visit him in 2 years time and when she does BOOM he proposes that they get married right there and then.

Maybe the couple are doing a pre-wedding honeymoon and sailing to New Zealand from Turkey, and by the time they get here, which will be in 2015, they're going to get married.

Maybe the girl is waiting to grow her hair so she can have it in a plait bun on the day.

Maybe they're waiting for the flower girl to be old enough to walk down the aisle.

Maybe they're shipping the wedding gown garment from Egypt and the cotton hasn't grown yet.

Maybe he's still saving up for the ring.
The vineyards
I really like the French style building and the gardens surrounding it
Being on a hill, it held a bewitching view of Rangitoto Island.
(It was weird thinking you're seeing the other side of Rangitoto)
Mudbrick is also a restaurant. There is indoor seating if you order meals, but we sat outside on the couches under the umbrella and ordered foccacia bread with homemade dips: cream cheese dip and hummus.
Salt & pepper squid



Another popular wedding location, they even had brochures by the door, is Cable Bay vineyards
Wouldn't it make a stunning venue !

Nearby is a Mediterranean style house which we visited to view the artworks of the artist who resides there
This is the view from the from the house :o

Waiheke is so nautical.


Down a little walkway at Kennedy Point, we arrived on a little secluded rocky beach
With water as clear as diamonds on a ring
Such an idyllic little place for a swim...
Oh and I had some food.
Calzone from Dragonfired, they sell woodfired pizzas in a van on Little Oneroa beach. Yum

And to conclude,
I played chess with my brother and I was down to my queen and king and then he ate my queen. Lauren is going to provide me with some training at CSL retreat...

Signed,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts on this post?