28 Feb 2013

A little bit about chocolate chip apricot cookies

A very special person is moving to Auckland, and if you have been around me in the past month you'd know how excitedly giggly I get when I mention this coming Friday (ie TOMORROW) :p

I made cookies! I thought the flatmates would appreciate some baking from the new guy's girlfriend.


Chocolate chip apricot cookies

250gr butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
handful dried apricots, chopped (I cut them with kitchen scissors)
2 rows cooking chocolate

1. Place butter, vanilla, sugars and egg in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Sift in half of the flour and mix well.
3. Sift in the remaining flour and baking soda and continue to mix.
4. Add in chocolate chips and apricots and stir to combine.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to an hour.
6. Roll mixture into balls and place on lined trays about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes
8. Leave on trays for 10 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool.
9. Pour boiled water in a bowl and place cooking chocolate in a separate bowl over the boiled water, stir chocolate until it melts completely.
10. Place into piping bag and drizzle over cookies.
11. Lick chocolate bowl clean.
Makes 40 delicious cookies.



Hints:

I refrigerated the dough in a metal bowl and I found that this affected the firmess of the dough that touched the sides of the bowl. I think it's better if you use plastic or glass/pyrex bowl.

When melting the chocolate, do not spill water into the chocolate bowl, this will ruin the chocolate. If you'd like it less viscous, put a little butter or milk, not water.

They're fine without the chocolate drizzle over top, but I lined them up on baking paper and decided to make them a little bit fancy.

It takes a few tries before getting the chocolate to drizzle smoothly. You can see in the above photo that the first row I did was a little messy. Just pack the chocolate into the bottom of the piping bag and squeeze firmly and continuously.
Using the last of the chocolate on the cookies that stuck together...
The cookies were so yummy. Chewy, soft and just sweet enough to eat more than three...
I left the messy ones above for my brother to eat, he ate all seven of them in one go. Including the one with the heart :((
Sorry, jt...


And to conclude,

the cheapest coffee I've found at uni is at Cafe Crema, near Starbucks on Symonds. $3 for a coffee. Legit. And they have a coffee card; buy 7 get one free!

Signed,
Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts on this post?